Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Question 1a - Creativity

To what extent has your creativity developed during the course?

I believe that throughout the course my creativity has developed and as a result it has improved my eye for design and the level of detail and complexity of my work.

One way my creativity has improved is through the use of technology. During the course my knowledge of the technology I was using became more in-depth and I knew how to work things quicker and get a better result out of the programs. An example of this was Final Cut which was new to me last year and still a bit unfamiliar to begin with in Year 13; however by being able to 'play around' with it and the clips I recorded with the piece of software I soon picked up how it was used, and most importantly, used to effect creatively by adding filters and editing clips so that my music video looked professional. By having better knowledge and also professional technology it allowed me to be more creative. Another example of this would be the technology used to film my music video (the Nikon D3200) which was more advanced technology used to film than previous things recorded, it allowed me to be more creative in being able to change the quality of shots and also take artistic/ effective shots with the manual focus on the lens. When it came to making my digipak the creative software was useful and my use and knowledge again developed as I used it more frequently and to greater effect being able to alter and adjust portions of an image and enhance it so it looked more professional and also creative (making it seem like a package all as one by having it similar to my poster).

Another way my creativity developed was through problem solving and planning techniques. First of all I used creative ways to plan recording my music video by getting together a mood board to inspire ideas for the themes of my music genre (Psychobilly). Using shot lists it allowed me to plan and think of shots which would work for the video i.e. what shots I wanted/ needed to get when filming. Next stage of planing I used storyboards to visualise the shots and allowed me to think in depth which camera angles are typical for the genre and how creatively I could use them to make the video stand out and unique. In terms of planning for my digipak and poster I used the idea of creating concept posters and covers etc. to see what looked good and experiment with different layouts to see what looks good. I had to get creative with problem solving as when it came to recording I only had one camera which is difficult when filming a live performance, this was done in the editing process post filming as I used effects to make the shots look different as well as cutting from shots of other songs edited to look like it goes with the song.

A third thing which developed my creativity during the course was having to work without a budget. This meant that everything I did had to be free or minimal cost as I had no money to work with. To make sure I could get the video complete without a budget I asked favours from the band for example being able to get into the venue for free when recording them as it was a long way from home. Equipment like my camera and tripod were Christmas presents which meant I had no cost for getting a professional camera in order to record the band. With recording I asked the band to perform their song twice so that I had enough footage and it ensured I had a greater number of shots/ camera angles to successfully edit the video later on. Finally the software used for editing was provided by the Sixth-form which was useful as it was a professional program which would normally cost a lot of money.

Lastly research techniques allowed me to develop my creativity over the course. The key way of researching my band and the genre of Psychobilly was through social media like their Facebook page as well as looking at other more known artists videos on YouTube and generally online through their own websites. I also got in contact with members from these other bands to find out informations and feedback on work I had done to see if it was up to a professional standard. Through YouTube it was my own research into the genre conventions and what is typical for a Psychobilly video to see if there were any key elements that I could incorporate into my own production. I then thought about different creative ways I could get these conventions across in both my video and other pieces of work. For my audience research I identified what kind of information I wanted to collect first and then found ways that I could interestingly ask it, this was done through an online questionnaire with interactive questions and I think the most creative way of finding out information about what makes a good digipak was through the use of a star based rating system where people rated the CD covers out of 5 stars depending on how much they liked each individual one, i could then analyse the most successful covers and see which is most popular e.g. scenery or ones featuring the band on the front. This means I could then emulate or take inspiration from those covers which were most popular to ensure it would be successful with my target audience.

1 comment:

  1. 14/25 - a good response with a range of evidence and quite specific examples.
    HTI - You need to talk the AS level work in almost as much detail as a comparative. The examiner wants to see you evaluate your progress. You also need to be more evaluative, which means judging the effectiveness of the things you did - again, you need the AS examples to judge this year's work against.

    ReplyDelete